Get the Best Baby Gate and Avoid Home Accidents From Burns, Falls, and Cuts
Is Your Home Safe For Your Baby? A Baby gate can save your baby from home accidents. Always wondered what I would do in case my baby was hurt in the house. Eight years ago it became a reality, I got a phone call from my childminder while at work telling me my 2-year-old baby girl had been burnt on her face by boiling tea. It was on a Saturday mid-morning and the banking hall where I worked was full of customers, I jumped out of my cubicle and headed home.
All I could remember was the hysterical cry of my baby screaming in the background uncontrollable. If I had a jet I would be home in a second. Considering it was on a weekend the road was jammed as everyone was traveling and I reached home after an hour. Good thing she had been rushed to hospital before I got home and the situation maintained. We were admitted for three days as she had suffered second-degree burns.
While in the burn ward at the children’s hospital I encountered various mothers who had been admitted with their children suffering from burns of various degrees and had to be grafted with new skin.
Common Causes of Home Accidents For Babies That Can be Avoided
Home accidents have become so common and the list is long from:
- Falling from the balcony.
- Falling from the stairs.
- Falling into the pool and drowning.
- Pricked by sharp objects(knives, Scissors, Nail cutter, Needle, Pins, Nails).
Importance Of A Baby Gate
Children and babies fall to their death or have become disabled at home through accidents, which could have been prevented with a baby gate, and spare the parents sleepless nights. Many time we think we can monitor a child especially when they start crawling or moving with house items.
You turn to pick something and you find the baby gone, either the baby is busying drinking the water in the toilet or is in the kitchen rampaging through the dustbin hence I would urge parents to invest in a baby gate to make life easy for the small ones.
You are heading to the laundry room or stairs and your kid is in quick pursuit behind you. You now know you need a gate, the problem is you do not know which one to go for. Here is where we help you out.
Having researched a lot, looking at the advantages of different baby gates for indoor and outdoor use among the many in the market we were able to pick the best as outlined below. First, you might need to consider where you want to place it, the location will determine the kind of gate to get.
Kinds of Baby Gates
We have different kind of gates to choose from:
- Pressure mount gates-used in opening spaces, hallways, the bottom of stairs.
- Hardware mount gates-Ideal for top of stairs.
- Custom size gates– for large spaces, secluded place.
- Permanent and temporary gates.
Most accidents that are common are falling down the stairs. Supervise your child in the stairs or balconies. Installing safety guards and gates is essential to remember your baby’s back is very fragile and it can lead to paralysis if they fall badly or even death.
Children suffer most stair injuries from fractures, sprain, bumps and some of the preventive measures advocated for are home friendly stair designs and baby gates.
Children as they grow they come up with tricks of moving up and down the steps as shown below, but before that, safety is a priority when they are tiny and are learning to crawl.
Best Baby Gates for Stairs
Regalo Extra Tall Baby Gate
Fantastic purchase for a very reasonable price! Delivery is ultra-quick when ordered and is easy to put together, just squeeze the buttons and pull back to open the gate. Ideal to contain toddlers or small-medium pets in a safe area. Stop your little climber from getting to places that are not safe.
- Pressure mounted design with easy setup and no tool required
- Walk through door with safety locking feature
- Perfect for stairs, hallways and open spaces
- Great for use with children (6-36months) and pets.
- Blends well with home décor.
- Easy to store-folds easily.
- Best in the market for numerous features of safety and standards.
- Measures 38”tall and from 29-44”wide.
Multidirectional Swing Gate
Child gate swings open both ways for added convenience and offer a triple locking system for peace of mind. To keep the safety gate open for multiple passes through, simply use the hold-open feature to prevent the gate from closing.
To ensure that your little one will remain safe and sound at all times. With its squeeze and pullback handle and walk through design, this gate is a convenient and practical choice! As it mounts easily by using tension knobs to secure the gate in place.
This safety gate is made of steel construction for durability and strength, providing the security you can rely on for those moments when you can’t be within arm’s reach of your child.
- Two way open and stay door.
- One hand open with safety locking feature.
- Great for children and pets.
- White in colour blend well with home décor.
- Ideal for room opening or bottom of stairs.
- Measures 28’’ to 38.5” wide and 29”high keeping your child safe and secure.
Window Guard Gate
Unconsciously your baby can climb near a window and try peeping outside, or the window latch may be loose causing a fall but this would never happen if you have a window guard. A window guard is a shield that deters your child from getting close to a window of falling from it. Once bolted to the side of the windows it will prevent risk for accidental falls for you baby and toddler also prevent your dog from running into the window.
- Powder coated steel, lightweight but robust security grilles.
- Easy to install with pressure mounting, internal window use.
- Non-Egress, but easy to remove by an adult in case of fire.
- Prevent child falls from high floor, avoid pets slip out the window, against theft burglar bars.
- Measures 29.9” high and from 36.6” wide.
Multiuse Sturdy Tall Gate
Carry your baby around the house can strain your back having the multiuse tall gate ensure you can open comfortable without bending. Safe with a removable stopper preventing opening towards the staircase at top of stairs. Doubles up as hardware or pressure mounted depending on your preference.
With your child tiny hand, you do not need to worry of her being able to open as the gate has several childproof mechanisms, from the door latch to the sizable spring force in order to close the door behind you.
I would certainly recommend it for its sturdy construction and the way it blends into the home décor compared to others in the market.
- Measures 36”tall and 28.5” to 45”wide
- Removable door stopper.
- Doubles up as a hardware or pressure mount gate.
- Sturdy as it is made of metal.
- Ideal for most door openings and stairs.
- Can accommodate babies from 6months to 2 years.
- Can be used for toddlers and small pets.
5. Evenflo Wide Gate
A sturdy gate that can withstand your baby strong grip of push. Easy to clean as the mesh is removable. Good for travel as it is portable and easy to store if not needed. Easy to fix as the rubber end bumpers allow you to use it at an angle from one door molding to another.
- Comes completely assembled.
- Mesh removable making it easy to clean
- Lightweight and portable.
- Measures 26” tall and from 38” to 60” wide.
- Pressure mounted gate and custom fit.
Best Baby Gate For Outdoor Use
6. Perma Child Safety Gate
When your baby starts moving around, she can crawl to the garden outside but with Perma gate, you can avoid this. If you live in busy traffic area caution should be taken as a crawling baby need security not only from the kitchen, bathroom, washroom, and balcony but outside. Beautiful scenery and the fresh air can motivate them to go outside.
- Ideal for outdoor.
- Can withstand outdoor conditions and pet claws.
- Can be used to safeguard children and pets.
- High standard gate with extra retractable function.
- Easy to use in high traffic areas.
- Measures 33” tall and 71”wide.
Do not wait for any accidents to occur at home, act now and get a baby gate.
Learning from painful experience is no desire for any parent and hence I researched items that would prevent accidents in homes and safeguard our children.
Better safe than sorry avoid a never-ending agony and keep your home safe for your little ones.